Judith Bunting was elected as an MEP for the South East of England in May 2019. Judith is passionate about her role.
As the Liberal Democrat Spokesperson on Education and Culture in Europe, Judith is particularly interested in opportunities offered to people of all ages through combining training, the workplace and experiencing other cultures. “I am looking forward to representing the UK and the Renew Europe group on the Education and Culture committee to ensure that our young people can get the best out of Europe.”
She has a long term interest in small businesses and the European internal market, while her position on the Industry, Research and Energy committee underlines her commitment to combat climate change.
Her aim is to ensure that the UK’s voice is heard in Europe and that positive connections remain in the future to support the education of our next generation business owners, educators, and innovators.
Judith got involved in politics and stood for election to European Parliament because she became angry. She says: “First it was the financial crash and then it was Brexit. I could not bear to watch the rising inequality in the UK and a good future being removed from the next generation without trying to do something to help. I cannot sit still where I see injustice, lack of access to education, limitations placed on our young people. It reached the point where I had to stand up and be counted, to stand up for the UK’s future.”
“Choosing to be a Liberal Democrat was easy. We are better when we work together. Public services are critical and we have to help those who cannot help themselves. To pay for these services, we need a thriving economy, a successful business sector and to support ambition, education and innovation at every turn. For me, that is the essence of Liberal Democracy. No other party addresses both sides of the issue so clearly.”
- Judith is a former science journalist and TV documentary director.
- She was Parliamentary Candidate for the Liberal Democrats in Newbury and West Berkshire in 2015 and 2017.
- Studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge University.
- Science journalist for more than 20 years at the BBC.
- Directed films on green energy for Tomorrow’s World and quantum physics for Horizon and Discovery.
- Executive and Series Producer for Magic Hands the CBeebies series, presented in British Sign Language.
- Selected by the Royal Society of Chemistry to be one of their “175 Faces of Chemistry”.
- Supporter of the People’s Vote.
You can keep up-to-date with Judith’s work as an MEP in the following ways:
Email Judith: firstname.lastname@example.org